# Call Routing
This is how the PBX knows what to do when a call comes into a number that is in your PBX. If there is no call route, the PBX does not know what to do and the call will not establish.
Tip: This is also where you configure your Virtual Fax service.
From the Hosted PBX homepage, click 'Call Routing'.
On this page you will see an overview of each configured Call Route:
- External Phone Number: This is the inbound number that has the call route configured.
- Call Alert: This is the name of the call route. For example, “Main Inbound”.
- Activity Type: This is the action the PBX will take when call comes in for that number. For example, “CallCondition”.
- Activity: This is the name of the activity. For example, “Main D/N”.
If you want to edit an existing Call Route, you can click 'View/Edit' on the respective Call Route, otherwise click 'Add Call Route'.
Click 'Delete' to delete an item.
Once you are in the page to Add or Edit a call route you will see the below. Fill out the information.
- Timezone: The appropriate time zone for the phone number. For example, for an 07 number you would select “Australia/Brisbane”.
- Phone Number: The phone number for this call route.
- On Hold Music: This will be “Default” unless there is more than one on hold stream for the PBX.
- Inbound Ring Tone: This is usually left as “Default” but if you like you may choose another ringtone that is appropriate to the handsets you have onsite, Cisco/Yealink.
- Call Alert Name: This is the name of the call route. For example, “Main Inbound”.
- Enable Virtual Fax: Tick this to enable this call route as the fax line. Follow the link for more information.
- Enable Call Recording: Tick this to enable call recording on this call route. Follow the link for more information.
- Caller Passcode: Tick this if you would like the caller to have to enter a passcode to proceed with the call. You will then need to enter the passcode desired. A good use of this is if you only want certain customers to be able to call a number.
- Enable Holiday: Tick this to enable a holiday condition on this call route, then select the appropriate holiday condition if there is more than one. Follow the link for more information.
Enable Emergency Routing: Tick this to enable emergency routing on this call route. Follow the link for more information.
Enable Forward All: Tick this to enable emergency routing on this call route. Follow the link for more information.
TIP: There are other ways to divert/forward calls. Find out more here.
In 'Activity Type', choose from the following options:
- External Phone Number: Landline or mobile number, etc.
- Announcement: Allows you to play a pre-recorded sound before passing the call onto another activity.
- Advanced Day/Night Control: Useful to manage your office hours.
- Call Queue: Send the call to a queue of extensions.
- Conference: A fully functional conference bridge.
- Extension: Send the call directly to a specific extension.
- IVR: Send the call to an auto attendant which has options the caller can select from.
- Ring Group: Send the call to a group of phones.
- Virtual Extension: Send the call to a virtual extension that has been set up.
- Voicemail: Send the call to voicemail.
- We recommend "Voicemail No Msg" to avoid default messages preset on the PBX.
When finished, Click 'Save'.
This will save the changes, however, you will also need to 'Apply Changes' to put them into effect immediately.
Once the changes have finished applying, the yellow bar will be gone and your changes are now live.